I wrote an e-book a few months back called “Discovering Your Purpose.” As a speaker and teacher, I always come across the question of what is my purpose? Oftentimes this question is coming from individuals actively engaged in work. But the problem is that their “work” is not meaningful to them. Meaningful work is linked to the calling over your life. What is God calling you to do? What do you want to be when you “grow up?” What is the burning desire within you that you can’t shake? What do you dream of being in the world?
God has given us all “gifts and callings” according to Romans 11:29. Even before birth, we have been blessed with unique skills and talents. These gifts from God excite us when we use them. The gifts we possess are linked to our personal passions, joy and happiness. They are the tools needed to fulfill our calling. The problem is most people are waiting for permission from someone else to be happy. Their joy is linked within the confined opinions of people around them. We were trained in school and even in religion to follow the rules and expectations of those important to us. As a matter of fact, I’ve heard it said that most people only become who the most important person in their life tells them to become. This is not a bad thing, if the important people around you value you, have an unbiased, non-critical view of you and recognize your personal greatness. When we go vertical, discover God’s presence and make Him the most important person in our lives, we will live according to His dream for our lives, no matter the cost. If you are reading this and your work is not meaningful to you, enter into 2013 ready to make a shift in your life. To progress deeper in your quest for purpose, their must be deviation from the norm. You must be delivered from the expectations of others and give yourself authorization to embrace the knowing of who you really are…who the Father in Heaven has designed & called you to be.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself in order to help you recognize your calling.
- When are you happiest?
- Fill in the blank to the phrase “If I had a billion dollars, I would_____________”
- What do your friends think you should do?
- What upsets or annoys you?
- Ask yourself, What is God’s dream for the world?…and then answer it.
Take time to answer these questions. No one else is going to try harder at discovering your purpose & worth than you.The Kingdom of God is within you. Follow your God-given dreams, passions and callings and you will find the key to living a fulfilling, joyful and peace-filled life.
What other tips can you share in order to help others find their callings in life?
- 7 Ways To Maintain A Positive Attitude (aaramblog.com)
- Why Choosing Your Life Purpose is So Darn Hard (psychologytoday.com)
- Are We Responsible For Our Spouse’s Happiness? (peacefulwife.com)
- A Life of Purpose (freelancingtofreedom.com)
- How I started my own business- Going after my dreams (samaworld.wordpress.com)
- 50 Simple Ways (bsbwebsite.wordpress.com)
- Pain, Loss, and the Path to God (thehiddenpearl.wordpress.com)
- Purpose (gonetraining.com)