Many people are looking for meaning in tragedy. In a hope to comfort the broken-hearted, we’ve taught people to believe that God is in control. But is He? Was He in control of the drunk driver that ran the light, and took the lives of the family driving home from the movies? Was He in control of the man who repeatedly molested his nephew? Was He in control of the terrorists who took the lives of thousands of people on 9/11? If EVERYTHING is controlled by God, then why do we want to prosecute a rapist? If he’s in control, what’s the purpose of obedience and why punish rebellion? If EVERYTHING is controlled by God, what’s the point of prayer? Evangelism? Why would we be instructed to seek wisdom and use it if God is in control of everything we already do? Over 3oo times the word “IF” is mentioned in the bible. “If” implies a condition depending on a choice. Jesus stated “Your Father in Heaven is not willing that any one should perish.” (Matthew 18:14) God doesn’t want anyone to perish. That is His WILL…However people perish daily. The Bible would contradict itself if we believed God is in Control.
You see the scriptures doesn’t teach that God is in TOTAL control. We’ve looked for opportunities to strip ourselves of personal responsibility in hopes that God will do EVERYTHING for us. But it is unbiblical to do so.
Jesus Mind Principle #18: God’s sovereignty does not replace personal responsibility
We have learned about God’s sovereignty but many have never learned about personal sovereignty. God does nothing on Earth without a person’s permission. God is not in control of Earth. WE are!
Foundational Scriptural References
- Man was created to have “dominion” control/rulership over the earth. (Genesis 1:26)
- He created all things, but He’s given the Earth to the “children of men.” (Psalm 115:16)
- He put everything under our feet. He gave us legal authority to rule and take responsibility over the things He created on the Earth. We are Earth’s stewards. (Psalm 8:6)
GOD IS A COVENANT GOD
God chose to do things this way. God is a God of covenant. A covenant is a binding agreement, a contract that sets stipulations on 2 parties for an agreed upon will. God set up covenants so that we can be in a living agreement with Him. You must learn the covenants to know how to interact with the living God. Within this covenant, He stated that man would be responsible for the affairs of the Earth. God therefore needs permission, according to His OWN covenant to enter the Earth and execute His plans. His desire is to BE in control, but He is waiting on our permission. Jesus told Peter as a prophecy of the Church that, “Whatever we bind on Earth will be bound in Heaven, and whatever we loose (allow) on Earth shall be loosed in Heaven.” (Matthew 18:18) Jesus clearly revealed the truth that our decisions on Earth determines the extent of Heaven’s intervention on our behalf. The destiny of the Earth is decided by our choices. In the end we know God’s plan will be done, but it will happen at the speed of our agreement with His Will. On a personal scale, even your destiny is decided by your choices. Think about it on a basic level…God woke you up, but if He’s in control of everything you do, did He brush your teeth for you this morning? Comb your hair? Or put your clothes on for you? He may have provided and blessed you with a job, a family, a sane mind…but the car you might have driven to work, tell Him to drive it for you, and see who’s in control. Understand this. God’s blessings are available, but they are not automatic. YOU have a part to play in the divine manifestation of His presence and provision in your life. He DOES have a plan for your life, plans to prosper you and give you an expected end. (Jeremiah 29:11) But God does nothing on Earth without a person’s permission. It’s why Jesus was so excited to get a body, become a man and live on the Earth to be able to pray the Father’s PERFECT will to be done on Earth so that it can happen. (SEE Hebrews 10:5-9)
The Bible is a book of decisions. God gives you options and opportunities, to operate different levels of your faith. If you don’t believe your choices matter to God, here are just three scriptures that disprove that.
- ” This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now CHOOSE life, so that you and your children may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:19)
- “If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good of the land.” (Isaiah 1:19)
- “If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all His commands I give you today, the Lord will set you high above all the nations on Earth.” (Deuteronomy 28:1)
God’s blessings are available, but they are not automatic. Nothing happens for you until you use your faith. God operates by a reward system. He loves you, cares for you…but He gives much more to those who prove themselves faithful to be trusted with more. He rewards your choices made in faith to His Voice and His Word…Here are some more scriptures that reveals that your choices matter to God.
- “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you.” (Matthew 6:33)
- “No one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this life and in the life to come.” (Mark 10:29-30)
- “Without faith is impossible to please Him. For he that comes to God must believe that He exists, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6)
- “Give and it will be given back to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over.” (Luke 6:38)
I believe God is NOT in control of poverty, diseases, terrorist attacks. He’s not in control of those who become rich or stay broke or those who remain sick. Why do we ignore the fact that there IS a thief that comes to steal from you, kill and destroy. (John 10:10) He comes to steal your seed of faith so he can kill you slowly by destroying your hope, dreams and desire for the will of God to be done in your life. The thief makes people sick, broke, depressed. Your responsibility is to use the Word to overcome his devices and enforce the finished work of Christ in every area of your life.
The Jesus Mind understands that we are “Co-laborers” with God. (1 Corinthians 3:9) That means He works with us and we work with Him. We have a part to play in what He is up to. We have a responsibility in seeing the blessings and promises of God manifested in our lives. Your active obedience to His plans for your life gives God permission to work in, through and around your life. God is not in control of EVERYTHING in the Earth and in your life. Just the areas where we have yielded to Him, emptied our egos and allowed Him to be God, the LORD of all. Don’t take this post as a reason to remain in self-sufficiency. God wants to be and OUGHT to be in control of every area of your life. But don’t assume He already is.
DO YOU THINK GOD IS IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING? COMMENT BELOW. I’D LIKE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS.
- Jesus Christ: The True Greatest Prophet (conmakhalira.wordpress.com)
- You don’t have any rights! You gave them up to serve the King (radiqx.com)
- Personal Encounter with Jesus: ground for discipleship (junjunfaithbook.com)
- God Is In Control (shareaverse.wordpress.com)
- Come Unto Christ Through Obedience (oldstersview.wordpress.com)
- God’s Sovereignty vs Man’s Free Will (truthinscripture.com)
- Does God Still Heal Today? (steveatwood.wordpress.com)