Stop going to church.
Start being the church.
Jesus Mind Principle #7: Be The Church
When most Christians hear reasons why people don’t want to be bothered with Church, they act like it’s a myth they are hearing. They pretend as if people have no good excuse for not being interested in boring Church services with self-righteous men talking down to them. They just can’t seem to believe in the fact that their church model isn’t working. But the sad reality is that people don’t care too much about hypocritical Christianity, and for good reason. Nearly three out of every five young Christians disconnect from their churches after the age of 15. The Barna Group did a research to find out why young people leave the church (See article here). Here are the 6 reasons discovered
- Churches appear to be overprotective, demonizing everything outside of the church and ignoring real world problems.
- Churches are boring, shallow and lack God, catering to 40 something year olds and up.
- Churches appear to be “anti-science,” confident in believing they know all the answers without any proof.
- Churches are too judgmental in the issue of sexuality.
- Churches are close-minded, exclusive to other beliefs.
- Churches are unfriendly to those who doubt.
Apparently the Church lacks The Jesus Mind. Every reason mentioned as to why 3 out of 5 young Christians lose interest in Church is a failure on the part of the Church to display Jesus in a culturally relevant way. The Church has been functioning contrary to the very paradigm, mission and personality of Jesus Himself. It’s about time we change that. If the Church had The Jesus Mind, this is how the reasons listed above will shift…
- Churches will give permission for Christians to follow their God-given dreams, proactively engage the world and not be afraid of it… Loving people and living before God with a clear conscience. (1 Corinthians 10:25-29; 2 Corinthians 1:12; 1 Timothy 1:5)
- Churches will be exciting, deep and full of God! With daily miracles, beautiful artistic expressions of gifts and deep insights to the wonders of God, you couldn’t keep people out of the Church! (Matthew 4:23-25)
- Churches will prove that science proves God and even give the world of science answers to the questions they are seeking for. (John 10:37-38; Acts 1:3; 2 Timothy 2:15)
- Churches will be like TLC and say, “Let’s talk about sex Baby.” They will talk about sexuality, the beauty of it and how God intended for it to be valued and appreciated. In the process it will forgive and encourage people who’ve made sexual mistakes, reminding them that God makes all things new! (1 Corinthians 6:18, 7:2; Hebrews 13:4)
- Churches will be open-minded, inclusive to others. With a Jesus Mind, you can honor and love people despite their belief system. (1 Peer 2:17; Matthew 22:21)
- Churches will humbly and patiently help people with their unbelief. (Mark 9:24; John 20:27)
We live in the “Relationship Age”. The success of any organization will be based on how well you connect, involve and serve the people you want to reach with your message, product or brand. The Church has a lot of growing up to do as we all do. But one thing we have to do as the Church is revisit the very message of Jesus and seek to embody His ways. Don’t go to Church. BE the Church!